The following easy-to-do tasks will greatly reduce your computer’s exposure to the many threats found online:
- Enable a firewall.
- Install antivirus software.
- Install operating system patches.
- Install antispyware tools.
- Set a secure password and change it often (see Guidelines for secure passwords)
Also see Best practices against IT vulnerabilities and threats for more details on security threats.
Tips to protect your identity and personal information
- Identity Theft
- Best practices for <Company> ID cards
- Best practices to secure confidential information
- Guidelines for secure passwords
- Using password-protected screen savers
- Safe web browsing
- Software patching
- Online transaction tips
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing security
- VoIP security
- Instant messaging security
- Erase your computer’s hard disk before selling it or giving it away
Email best practices
- Email best practices
- Archiving Email using EVault
- Archiving Email Using MS Outlook AutoArchive
- Email etiquette
Tips for web browsing
- Tips for effective web browsing (miscellaneous browser tips)
- Safe web browsing (focus on security)
Tips to protect and care for your equipment
- Preventing and reporting computer theft
- STOP crime prevention campaign
- Laptop care
- Hard disk maintenance
Best practices for data storage and backup
- File storage best practices
- Data backup
Best practices for using administrative systems
- Security for administrative systems (Banner, Minerva, Lenel)
- Security of confidential data (student and employee data)