Because it’s not possible to avoid Microsoft Windows, here is a list of softwares and tips that will permit you to maintain your Microsoft Windows up-to-date and almost safe. For Mac, it is strongly recommended to install a good Antivirus, a Password Manager and a Cleaner too.
1. Good practices
If you want to keep your computer secure, you should make sure the screen is locked automatically when you’re not around. To do this, click on Start, type lock screen and select Lock screen settings.
Use a unique profile by user:
- To set up multiple accounts, go to Settings, then Accounts.
- On the left, select ‘Family & other users’.
- Under ‘Other users’, click ‘Add someone else to this PC’.
- If the person you want using your PC is someone you trust, add their email and follow the instructions. If not, select ‘The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address’ then ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account’ to add them as a guest user.
- Give the account a name, such as ‘Guest User’, add a password if necessary, then click Finish.
2. Turn On your Windows Firewall
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- If the Windows Firewall is enabled, the Windows Firewall state should be On. If not, do it.
3. Software Update
- Always turn on your Windows update
- You can install software updater like FileHippo update checker
4. Software Vulnerability Check / Update
- You can install Flexera Software Vulnerability Management ( ex Secunia PSI)
5. Antivirus and Anti-Malware
If you think you have a suspect file or risk of infection, you can also use:
- Malware Byte
- SpyBot Search and Destroy (but less and less used)
- You can also submit malwares or suspect files to Virustotal it will scan it with the most common AV from the market.
6. Password Vault / Manager
It is nice to store your passwords in a safe way, and by the way using a unique password for each location,
7. Drivers updates
- Drivers Cloud to update your computer drivers and check your configuration.
8. Computer Cleaner
To prevent garbage, to purge cache, logs and obsolete files and storage, a good clean-up is required time to time.
In any case, update doesn’t prevent from 0 day exploits and wrong usages. Stay aware and open your eyes.